5.21.2006

A letter to the "me" 10 years later...

That will be in 2016, May 21st or Heisei 28 ( in the Japanese calendar)

What will I be like then? What have I become? Married? Single? Japan? Singapore? Other parts of the world? These are some questions I have for the me 10 years later...

Nope, I have not become poetic or mad all of a sudden. This is just part of the attraction in Meiji Mura ( Meji Village) which I visited with the family one of the kids I teach. Meiji mura is a place which showcases the Meji Restoration stuff, buildings where western ideas started entering Japan. So, the letter to the me 10 years later is just one of the services offered by the post office.

I sat on the old street car, horse carriage ( it is contrary to popular belief, super comfortable!), trains that ran on coal etc...

Went into the houses of popular Japanese writers like Natsume Soseki and Mori Ogai...

Had an interesting experience. In order to experience what it was like in the meiji period because electric light became common, we were led into a room (more like a maze) totally without light. Meaning eyes shut or wide open makes zero difference. The kid I taught was simply terrified. The usual brat who loves to tease me all the time just held on to my hand so tightly and he kept calling out for me. Haaa.... but all in all we had a good time.

But of course, what eventually killed us was the weather. The hot sun was though very welcomed after a few days of rain, it also took away all our energy quickly. Thanks to the occassion snacks of drinks and ice-cream that kept us going to the end of the day. wooh!... Summer in Japan is terrifying!!

No comments: