5.23.2005

My new found interest...

Hiking!!

I really love it now. Have been going on hikes for the past 2 weeks and planning to go for more for the weeks to come. At least well before the rainy season, called “Tsuyu” in Japanese sets in. It is when it will rain almost (note: not everyday) in Japan. But well, it doesn’t happen in Hokkaido apparently…

Anyway I started going on hikes because I want to try Mt Fuji in July… so thought I better get myself in a good shape before that. At the same time, there are maps readily available for hiking courses throughout Aichi Ken (where I stay) and neighbouring Shizuoka Ken. Take a train about 1-2 hours away ( now now… I fully agree with what Carol said about shifting concepts with regards to time. A 35 mins train to Orchard used to be very far… But one or 2 hours train away now is very acceptable) and you are off to a hike!

The first one was done with Carol… had a good time walking in the forests and little streams. It was a really rewarding hike at the end of it cus we got to see many things maybe most of us have even forgotten how it even looks like.. eg, tadpoles spawning, voices of crickets and birds…

Did the second one on my own. It was a really short 7km as compared to the nearly 15km one we did together. That wasn’t much of a nature hike actually but a one that takes you to various ancient buildings and museums in Shizuoka ken. Well, it was fun though to just navigate around with a map… and most of all, I could be away from the familiar Okazaki, to be on my own for a while. Well, not that I hate Okazaki. In fact not at all. But, I guess one just needs to get away once in a while uh…

Planning to go on the 3rd trip again this week… should be quite a challenging one as it is mostly forested area. Great!!

No comments: