4.25.2009

The Joy of the Lord is my strength.

"Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is my strength."

This was what my friend said to me.

On a perfectly normal Wednesday afternoon, I received an email from a friend telling me that her father has passed away suddenly.

In a complete shock state ( because she has never mentioned that her father was ill in anyway) we made arrangements to meet that night for dinner.

In reality, her situation mirrored a very real secret fear in me actually. And that is to be away from my family and not be able to be there for them immediately in an emergency situation. To make things worst, my parents is always hidding things from me and only telling me when it is over and settled. While I appreciate their effort in not wanting me to be worried, it is actually making me more worried at times! So people who know my parents, please look out for them.

Back to my friend... I was thinking hard.. How should I comfort her? God please put words into my mouth that will make her feel better and not pass off as just casual remarks.

Yet, contrary to my (not a complete surprise actually) expectation, I was greeted by a smilling friend who was half running to me and apologising for being late. We sat down at our seats in our usual hangout, ( the sushi bar) whenever we have chats. At that point in time, I wasn't sure if it was very KY ( a japanese abbreviation to mean if you are sensitive to what is happening) to ask her about her father. So I started with the, " how are things"? question.

And my friend said this to me. ""Do not grieve, for the joy of the Lord is my strength."

As she started speaking, my heart really leaped with joy with the amazing things God has done and shown her during the period of time.
I didn't have to comfort her at all because God has already done so and He was even showing her one miracle after another miracle in this difficult period of time. Her conversation with me was not about how sad and lost she is at the loss of her father, whom she is very close to, ( always speaking on the phone with him for hours) but How God has answered their prayers one after another.

I really thank God for this friend.. whom has always been a pillar of support for me all this while in Japan. Someone whom I can be open to 100%, whom I can share with just about anything.

Thanks for reminding me and encouraging me despite your own situation that when everything seems to go the wrong way, the joy of the Lord is OUR strength.

No comments: