9.17.2010

How many things do we actually need to survive?

On the very day that I arrived in Tokyo, I always had the feeling that I will be leaving soon. It wasn't because I hated Tokyo or what... in fact I really love my lifestyle now. But somehow I find myself in the always-ready-to-move mode.

This is evident in a few strange habits I have:

1. I kept the big boxes I used when I moved from Okazaki to Tokyo and is still collecting them because I feel need them soon when I move back to Singapore.

2. I do spend on "decorations", i.e unwanted, unecessary but things that looks nice in your house at times but I think twice about it now.

3. I am constantly thinking of what I can get rid in the house to lessen my load when I need to move. eg, old clothes, unwanted comics, Cds.

4. I do not have the motivation to splurge on expensive things even if they last a long time (electric appliances, furniture etc..) because I definitely do not want to bring them back to Singapore with me.

So... in one of those "thinking-of-what-to get-rid-of last night, I looked around my fully-packed apartment and thought to myself, "This is ridiculous! Does 1 person need everything that is filling up the apartment to survive?"

Strangely yes! I couldn't find anything that I should get rid of straight-away....

No comments: