5.23.2011

Solo trip Observations~

For the first two times I went to Seoul, I didn't really got to try their traditional breakfast because 1. The hotel provided breakfast. 2. My companions just weren't morning people. Finally on my semi-solo trip on the third time, I got to try out their breakfast (I should think this is just one choice) which is Congee. They have very interesting combinations like mushroom with beef, ginseng chicken with prawn and Abalone being the most mainstream one.

Also, on the last 2 trips, since it was always with 2-3 people, Taxis were our main mode of transport. Taxis are really cheap in Seoul, really a fraction of that of Singapore and especially so when you share out among 3-4 people. And on top of that being in a foreign place where we couldn't and actually didn't want to be bothered with reading maps or figuring out the subway lines, I almost never had a chance to step into the subways.

So on the third trip I decided to take as much subway as I could (have to use the subway card I topped up but never ever got to use). And I did! In fact I walked so much (since I got lost as much too) that my calves were wobbling in pain when I got back to the hotel at the end of the day.
But I really totally enjoyed myself because the weather was great (ard 20-23 deg) with no strong sun and light breeze. I really love to take the subway too because that’s where I can do people observation and also move around slowly at my own pace. My only “regret” or disappointment is the realization that the tall and good-looking guys you see in Korean dramas do not actually exist on the roads. They are found and probably confine to the boundaries of the television.
So I still think Tokyo is a better place to spot good-looking guys~ (seconded by 2 other friends)

So let me share some things I took along the way…

The congee place I went on the first morning. It is abalone and the broth is made from cow's bones apparently. And usually they come with some side dishes like kimchi and spicy octopus which I absolutely love!! Actually I like the spicy Ikan bilis best~ Yumz~~









And Singapore-founded stores seems to do pretty well too! Besides Kaya toast, saw a long queue outside Mei Zhen Xiang and Charles and Keith too.










We have the quirky English.... And even the Japanese is weird grammatical too. But well the Japanese part makes a little more sense though.






And finally a break at O'sulloc, my favourite green-tea based-cafe. Their green-tea leaves are freshly picked from Jeju and they make all kinds of tea related desserts like the green-tea float below, earl-grey moouse cakes etc.. This is a top recommendation! Their cakes are really light and fluffy!





Anyway, thank God I had my cousin for company for 1.5 days! We had a great time at a public bath, eating BBQ meat and just fellowship~ also planning for our trip there again (hopefully this year!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my oh my, now u r making me want to travel around korea even more!!! m(T^T)m

-Carol G.

Karen said...

Let's go! You want to stop over in Seoul on the way to US?? heee

Karen said...

the food is really good.... I lurrvvvveee it!

Anonymous said...

......... So evil!!! You hit me in the right spot, food....... drool....

-carol G.