8.31.2006

Just to illustrate

Just thought I'll write this down... some examples of what I mean by services not up to expectations or am I just being too demanding?

A company... I'll leave out the name ( but give obvious hint as to which one... hiak...) which introduced me to my current job ( see! that's very obvious right!)

This company have staff which is not very professional according to my standards.

I was actually quite pleased with them, or thought they were very efficient because they called me pretty quick after I submitted my resume online. They gave me a long-distance call despite the fact I was still in Japan then. They asked me about my date of return and told me they will call soon.

As they promised, they called me just 3 days I came back and found me my first job within 2 weeks I was back. So.. this current job is more like being shoved into my hands. I was just told to turn up for interview though I told them I would like some more time. Then the next thing I knew, I was asked for an interview by the prospective company and I begin working 3 days after that.

Fast and efficient right? Very good. They promptly replied my emails and calls till.... till I was happily settled in the company.

One fine day, I emailed my agent to ask him something regard the job ( since I was on the agency's payroll) and then he never replied. ( He did not just not reply. He never ever replied)

I got a call only 4 days later from his colleague who greeted me in this way. "You mean he never tell you he went on a business trip meh?"

Ignoring the bad English and manners. I replied no. Yup, I swallowed up the rest of the sentence. " Yes you are absolutely right. He didn't BOTHER to reply to me so I wouldn't have known his whereabouts. You see mdm, I am not his keeper." Anyway, she wasn't at all a help to the questions I had. fine..

Another fine morning, I received a msg on my phone. "Please call me immediately at this number 62XX-XXXX. Urgent."

What the heck... who in the early morning. No name, unidentified number. My mother has always told me to ignore strangers since young. I guess it extends to strangers on the handphone too. What rudeness. If you are urgently looking for me then have the decency to pick up the phone to call me. Or at least offer me your name.

Anyway it turned out to be the agent and the best thing was, it was nothing urgent.

The last incident ( or so I hope).

Their receptionist called me up one morning to tell me there was a mistake in the calculation, the amount they paid me ( note: she said there was a mistake and no more) was $10.10 more. and she said this," Can you come down to the office to give me back the money?"

I replied coldly, 3 words. " I am working."


She replied in her chripy voice " Oh is it? You are working in XX office right? Very near our office, can come here."

What kind of service is that. Hey look, you are the one who made the mistake. Instead of thinking of ways to rectify the problem, y0u are asking me to go to your office instead? Why should I was my first reaction though I know it is not good to be so calculative. Besides anyway, she made a mistake, I wasn't at the office near hers.

Anyway, I checked my pay slip and found that there were no mistakes so I called her back to clarify the matter. and she replied, " If you look carefully, the 5 looks like 6 right? That's where the mistake came about." So she wrote the cheque wrongly, mistaking a 5 for a 6, after looking carefully.

I was really pissed by now ( I censored some other parts of the conversation, mostly on her lame excuses) so I replied " If you say so. because I LOOKED carefully and I see a 5. So you are telling me now it is not a calculation problem and YOU are the one who made the mistake? Is that what you are telling me now?"

ok... for those who think I am mean. Maybe I am. But then I not am against the girl nor the agent but their attitude. I think it is ok to make mistakes because we all do. But then, being in the service line especially, I think sincerely brings you further. WHen you make mistakes, admit and apologize. Nice humans out there ain't all that mean and demanding. You will make them more irritated when they discover they have been brought on a merry-go-round by you trying to shove the blame here and there.

So.. was I too mean?

No comments: