6.28.2007

The horrifying discovery, The overwhelming assurance...

Job is really tough and I am really going through an emotional roller-coaster at work. But I still thank God for the opportunity to learn, to trust and lean on Him so that my faith can grow and also how He has so wonderfully orchestrated events to happen in my life.

Another among the other wonderful things He has done, just want to share this testimony today.

The door to my house does not come with a key. It works on a password basis.
And for 4 months that I have been here, it seems like something was wrong with the door.
I could never open it on the first try, always on the second try. Only on days when I was "lucky" (unexplainable situations) was I able to do it on the first try.
I was contemplating going to the shop I rented my apartment from to complain that there was something wrong with my door. The only thing that held me back was plain laziness… the hassle of going back to the shop just to say this. So I lived with the situation for 4 months..
Until Esther came yesterday...

As I had to leave home early for work, I taught Esther the way to "locked" the door, shut the gate etc…
Anyway, work yesterday was pretty terrible… I was talking to a customer on the phone and he completely didn't know what I was saying that half way through he started speaking to me in English instead. He was very nice though, he didn't flare up at all… He didn't show the slightest hint of being irritated. But I felt like totally defeated. I have been in Japan for 2.5 years, 4 months in the company and still I can't do such a simple job.
I was questioning God with so much confusion and frustration. Asking him to show me why He had put me in this position, what can I do to overcome the language barrier… I even begin to question if I have "heard" wrongly about His plans for me… In fact, I have been asking myself a lot? Why did the boss decide to employ me? Why did he bother to go through all the trouble to apply a visa for me. I am not using much English at work so he could have just employed a Japanese…

And so I went home with a heavy heart.

Came to my door and as usual entered the password.
And to my surprised, it opened on the first try. I opened the door and told Esther,
"Hey today's my lucky day, the door opened on the first try."
Esther was like " oh haa… anyway, about locking the door, either you did tell me and I forgot about it or you forgot to tell me, there should be one more step after entering the password word right?"
I didn't digest that statement when she first said it. And she said it so casually…
Me: "Wait a min… what do you mean by there is one more extra step?"
Esther: "oh, I guess you did mention to me but I forgot about it. I was trying to lock the door this morning and I realized I couldn't. Then finally on the 3rd try, I realized, after entering the password, I need to turn the handle down once to lock it".

Esther mentioned to me later how shocked I looked.

I was totally horrified to know that only after 4 months. Suddenly, it came to light why I could only open the door on the 2nd try.
Everytime when I go home to try to open the door, the action of holding down the handle locked it and that's why I could only open it at the 2nd attempt.
The thought of me leaving my door unlocked everyday while I am at work totally shocked me.
And to add on to this, my neighbour doesn't have the habit of closing the main gate properly (and I am not better not locking my own door)

In the peak of the state of confusion, Esther exclaimed, "Wow you are so blessed! For 4 months God protected you!

Yes, He did. I can't imagine what will happen if God had not protected such a careless me. And to add on to this, I was having lunch with my colleague on the same day and somehow we came to the topic of rings and she told me the story of how burglars entered her friend's house stealing away everything. And it happened to them 3 times in the same year!

And I thought how timely the reminder came… It could have 2 months ago when my friend came to stay over. A week ago when my friends came from Singapore to stay over… both times they left the house themselves too but none of them were alerted.

It came at such a time where I needed assurance to know I am safe in His hands. It came not one day early nor late… just on time. Indeed, God makes everything beautiful in His time. Although I shudder at the thought of that, the joy and peace of coming to realization that God is in control overwhelms all fear inside me. Of cus, it taught me to be more careful too… But I felt so refreshed today though I only had less than 4 hours of sleep cus Esther and I chatted till 3+ in the morning… It is spiritual freshness which also calms the physical mind. And somehow today, I found the courage to go to work and to continue the challenge again.

So, be assured we are all safe in His arms.

No comments: