9.27.2007

David's Heart..

“Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God… You are my God my stronghold… Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me… Then will I go to the altar of God, to God, my joy and my delight. I will praise you with the harp, O God, my God” (42:11; 43:2-4).

I love David’s heart, don’t you? He takes himself to account and reminds himself of God’s truth. David understands his emotions, his feelings, are not the final word. He cries out to God in the midst of his despair. His confidence is in Almighty God, the only One who can lift him out of this terrible, debilitating darkness.

Desperate for a word from heaven? Tortured by emotions that sweep over you in waves? Are you drowning in discouragement?
Like David, cry out to God. Rather than allow your mind to dwell on negative feelings, pray for God’s light and truth to lead you:

“Lord in my dark night of the soul, help me to remember your love and faithfulness. Lead me out of darkness into light.
Thank you that although weeping may last for a night, a shout of joy comes in the morning. (Psalm 30:5)

No comments: