9.19.2007

Time...

The theme of the recent Arashi concert I went to... and is going this Saturday also...

Time is a something I think about a lot in Japan. And along with it, my energy, my erm. youth? What is the something I can do for other people?

I fell down the stairs once at the station near my house. Thank God it was winter and because I am heavily layered, I escaped with minor injuries. But my heart went cold... because nobody bothered to help.

In fact, I came across so many incidents, a blind person trying to cross the road, a lady who sprained her ankle hobbing on the street, old folks standing unsteadily on the train without anyone willing to give up their seats.

Sometimes, I am just so shocked at how people can just walk past these people without pausing for a moment or lending a helping hand. But yet, when I do see people who actually bother to help, my heart is warmed immediately.

My prayer for myself is to be really sensitive to the needs of people around me. I think I lack that. My body always acts faster than I can think. Meaning, before I can think of helping, my legs has already carried me a distance away from the person in need. But I secretly want to be a person who makes a difference. I need not be a matyr but even just that one person is enough.

I remember a story which MOE used to advertise teaching as a career.

A boy was walking along the beach one day when he saw many star fish lying on the beach. He walked over to them and started to pick up one by one and throw them back into the sea. A man saw what he was doing and said to him

" Why do you bother? There are so many of them, it will not make a difference anyway."
The boy answered, "It will not make a big difference on the whole, but it makes a world of difference to each one of them."

(Ok, i rephrase everything according to what I remember...)

But yeah, with Carol's arrival, we are going to do something concrete! Besides our common love of hiking, we are going to do volunteer work, dance lessons, create havoc, binge and basically live life to fullest while bring good to the lives of others.

I am excited!!!!!!!

No comments: