2.08.2010

A bloody affair!!

I cut my finger on saturday while I was cutting vegetables...

Unfortunately, it wasn't a slight slit. I actually sliced off a piece of my own flesh! ( yes I saw it flew to a short distance in front of me).

Immediately blood oozed out like mad and I had to run to grab a towel to wrap it up. Actually I think I was really calm in the whole process. There wasn't much pain so things were pretty much under control.
Since blood didn't look like it was going to stop soon, I bundle it up with the same towel, wrap up my hand up with a glove and went to bed.

The next day, I took out the bandage to change for a fresh one before setting out for church. Just as I was leaving house, I happened to glance in the direction of the wall where I rested my hand while wearing my boots, I saw a trail of blood! Gave me a big shock!
So I hurried back into the room for more plasters only to find trails of blood on the floor, my laptop and more in the bathroom basin.
It looked just like any scene out of a drama series. Blood-soaked towels, bandages, plasters and tapes strewn over the table, trails of blood around....

But since I was in a hurry, I couldn't really unbandage myself. I just grabbed another towel hoping to suppress the blood flow.

Got to church safely.. but as I was worshipping, I felt blood dripping out of the bandage again... Had to refrain from raising my hands too high. In fact I kept both hands to myself cus I had to use the towel to stop the blood from oozing out!

The blood has stil not stopped as of last night before I slept... It starts to flow whenever I take off the bandage... So I think I should go to the hospital today!

But something I learned and confirmed.

The best thing to use to stop heavy bleeding in a emergency is the sanitary pad!!
Think an emergency say on the road. The few minutes just before the ambulance arrives and you have a case of heavy bleeding. It is probably hard to find sterile gauze immediately but if there are ladies around, there is a high chance someone will also be carrying sanitary pads with them! It is sterile, easy to the skin and absorbs blood too!

This is what I like about first aid. Improvisation!!

No comments: