1.05.2005

Ohi sashi Buri...

It means “long time no see” in Japanese. Welcome back to Queen of my Heart after a long 2 weeks break. How are all my readers doing? Happy 2005 to all!

Well it is a long break because of several reasons. Firstly, there are simply no interesting events after the Christmas party. I was basically stuck at home cleaning. Until my friend Carolyn came from Tokyo. (She’s my sec school friend as well as NUS classmate) We were then too busy traveling around to get to updating our blogs. Finally when I did want to post something, the internet server was down in my residence. And then the worst thing happened to me. The system had some error and completely shut down before I could post my completed long blog. Yes. Completed. This is hence the 2nd copy you are reading. However, quality will not be compromised as usual. Hiak.. Anyway I was really glad to see Carol and the interesting changes I notice in her. I shan’t publicly write it here for fear of her slamming me for mentioning it again and again. But note, I entertain queries through my personal mail. =p

The first few we basically cycled round Okazaki, went to the castle the park which had a mini zoo. Yes, we met this really kind uncle at the pet shop who has kindly gave us 4 packs of dog food which he said we can use to feed the ducks. Of course, we had a hard time trying to get rid of the food nevertheless. The ducks are smarter nowadays. They don’t eat everything. I can’t say the same for the swans though.

Me feeding the hungry fowl…


Carol Relaxing under the clear Blue sky…



Anyway we had wanted to go Hiroshima to visit my host family and then Kyushu. It was too eh… ambitious, yes as carol puts it aptly. Cus we wanted to travel by the normal trains not bullet train. So instead we decided to go Ise Jingu anyway. For those who don’t know. Ise Jinggu is THE shrine. It is the shrines of all shrines in Japan. It is supposedly the most sacred of all… For instance, there are 2 shrines, the outer and inner. Which to reach the inner shrine, you have to hike 4km. The inner shrine is apparently so sacred that only the emperor can go in. And that is only after a few days of cleansing rites and purifying ceremonies. (Am I right Carol?) They also rebuilt the shrine every 20 yrs. Yes, no mistake about that. The moving of the sacred items in the shrine is only done in the dark at night, behind doors and bolts of cloth covering the people involved.

Anyway it snowed on the day we left home to go Ise! It was really very good to see the white flakes. They were just so pretty.

Ok finally reached Ise after 3 hours or so. It was freezing I assure you. So much so that I couldn’t move much with my teeth chattering vigorously. Had to drag Carol into this Soba/Udon store to eat something hot.


My last meal in 2004, A sumptuous treat from Carol!



Ise Shrine, as the reputation is, was filled with people. It was yes mountain people mountain sea. There were bonfires every where and according to the tradition, people would go there with their familes, bring mochi, a kind of food and roast in under the bonfires then eat it together. Though Carol and I din bring any, we got to eat it with compliments from some friendly Japanese ladies we met. In fact, it is good to be a foreigner at times. The Japanese are usually very friendly and accommodating towards us. Like the pet shop uncle mentioned above, the Japanese… Oh I even got a free grill fish at this shop outside the shrine. Though I suspected the uncle used me as a publicity cus he called out to me in front of all his customers. ( I was taking pics and he probably figured I was a tourist) It was not bad too, he removed all the bones for me as well.. hee hee.. But well, we had our fair share of stares at times too. When we were in the shrine, there were so many instances where people would turn to look at us when we spoke in English. This particular guy, he turned around to look at us when we were queuing up for the bus. He even pretended to look elsewhere. Please mister, it was so obvious you were looking at us. So obvious that carol and I just burst out laughing in unison at him.

People roasting their mochi by the fire…


The free fish!



Anyway, we went by a mini party hosted by the locals. Got lots of free food again, and even a pack of rice by playing a game! Was nearly called up the stage to give a speech cus we are foreigners again…

Someone imitating Matsu ken San…



We went to the Futami the next day. In English, the husband and wife rocks. Since it was near the sea, it was super windy and at one point, Carol exclaims excitedly, “ Hey this feels like Sekai No Chushin De Ai O Sakebu”. The English name being “Shouting Love in the Centre of the World”. Happens to be a touching Japanese movie we just watched together a few days ago. Got me crying and crying… Carol claims that she did not, just felt it was sad… gulps..

Yes this is what all Japanese hang on their doors on New Year


Sekai No Chushin de Ai o Sakebu


Futami



Ok, we went back to Okazaki in the evening, played with some sparklers with Steph and then set off to Shizuoka the next day.

First day was just normal… walked about. Second day, took a 2 hours bus ride into the mountains to the hot spring hotel. It just snowed so the whole place was snowed cap. Really amazing. The air was much fresher and also much colder of course.

The hot spring really works wonders. Removed all the aches in our bodies. The outdoor hot spring offers a pretty magnificent view too. You can the snow and mountains in the day and then at night, a sky full of stars. It was simply relaxing. So much so that, everytime after our hotspring session, we would feel like going to sleep. Yes, no wonder people go to lengths to go mountains for hot springs.

Ok… basically that is the summary of what we did…enjoy the photos
!
Squating… Flying… in the pure white snow! Estatic!



Our Shu nu-sleepy-sipping green tea pose…


No comments: