10.05.2004

Updates from these few days

These few days have been pretty packed for me. Besides riding my bike up and down town to get the necessities, I was also busy with rubbing my bruises! Yes up to date, I have 6 patches of bruises sustained from riding my bike. Either I bumped against the pedals, the sides of my bike or somehow I jumped off the bike at the wrong time. And my my... I got a shock when I was in shorts attempting to clean the toilet and floor last night. 2 big dark purplish spots on my left thigh! It is an horrifying sight. I can't believe how klutzy I can be... sighzz

Anyway, school started yesterday with placement test and opening ceremony. We were all asked to stand up one by one after being called. A tad scary. But I made 3 new friends out of the event. The Taiwanese lady who knocked on my door that night introduced 2 other girls from Taiwan and America. They happen to stay in Res U! Steph's block. What a coincidence =) We all got along pretty well especially after the Taiwanese girls found out we could speak Mandarin. Thrilled at the idea of discussing KTV and Jay Chou, we all went for dinner together at a sushi oulet. Enjoyable time eating and chatting in English, Mandarin and well of course Japanese =) It was quite interesting at one point when Steph and I were talking among ourselves. And you got it, in our usual Singlish. Mixing all the different languages. Then the Taiwanese girls were so amazed and they asked if we were speaking in Singaporean language. So we got to explain to them what happened and the rest is history...

But well today's a little off. Firstly I dragged myself out of bed cus I ended up sleeping too late the previous night to iron my laundry. It's been raining everyday in Okazaki and till now I have been drenched every single day. Yes.. that's becus I haven't mastered the skill of cycling with one hand on the handle and the other holding the umbrella. (My parents will probably scream if they knew this) But so far, God have been sustaining me. I am not down with flu or anything. But of cus won't take this for granted. I bought a tranparent umbrella in the 100 yen shop! The most commonly seen in Japan.

Well orientation was more of less about the school's stuff and survival in Japan. Everything is ok except the recycling system! You guys in Singapore better be thankful. In Japan, everything has to be sorted out before throwing it away. Eg, plastics in a bag, paper in another. There's not all! The caps and labels of the bottles are yet in another bag. Leftovers are not supposed to be left in their containers. It must be cleared then throw separately. I am still pretty fortunate. I just have to separate into burnable or burnables. Poor Steph have to separate into 5 or 6 catergories then take it to the recycling centres with designated bags she gotta buy. Then if the people at the collection centre are not satisfied, you have to take back, re do it again. The thing is, there are specific days for different kinds of trash. If you fail to meet the expectation, you have to bring the trash back and wait till the next collection day which could be next week. Chim right?

Now I am back in my comfy little abode. Classes officially commences tomorrow. A little nervous cus I am not as out-spoken as my "Ang Moh" counterparts but ok lah... take one step at a time.


No comments: