11.04.2004

First birthday in Japan...

The first thing went I got to school was to be greeted by 2 staff of the school. They wanted to pass me some X-ray thing. And one of them was like "Ah Karen san! It's your birthday today isn't it? Happy Birthday!" I was not very shocked actually... Cus the staff at our school just seems to have fantastic memories. You can ask Steph. It's not just me and her. But anytime we stepped into the office to either collect our mail or to need some help in our rooms, we never had to say our names, they remember it! They even remember where we are staying... I am truly amazed. So I am not surprised either that they remember our birthdays.

Then first lesson in class, the teacher passed me a card from all the teachers teaching our class. Hmm... ok expected that too cus Steph got one from them on her birthday last week. But... the teachers are really very "ba gua". 2 out of the 4 teachers wrote something like who am I going to spend my birthday with... and of course I know they are specifically referring to someone. But pls lor...sighzz

At night, went for a gathering at my friend's house and some of my classmates came along. It was party night that day cus the next day was a public holiday. Everyone was out partying somewhere and we too! Had a steamboat party. Was pretty fun with all the people around.. Steph, Ying- Jie (another singaporean), Cindy and Alyssa and from my class, Owen, Shaggy and Reka. But then, really feel a little guilty towards Ying -jie cus her electricity kept tripping. It must be becus we were using too much power at one go. (We had 2 pots at first) It was just so relaxing and fun sitting around with Owen entertaining us with his endless antics.

Then came the cake! Well... I kinda knew there was going to be a cake cus well it was a birthday after all. But still, it was pretty a surprise when Steph and some of the girls suddenly came thru the door with the lights off and a lit cake. It was a delicious cake! I love it cus it had so many strawberries on it! And well Mr Owen went a little crazy when he came over to give me a hug. Ahh... I couldn't shrug him off ( and truly I wanted to cus I couldn't breathe le!) Typical American Boy as Alyssa puts it. He tried to plant a kiss on my cheek too, to which I was quick
enough to dodge. It was so funny when he was mumbling to himself after that, " I thought it was just the perfect thing to do at that moment.." Haa... sorry Owen, it is a conservative Asian you are talking about. =)

Thanks to all who made the effort for the party! Especially Steph and Cindy who had to cycle on one bicycle only up and down the slope. Hope ya guys had fun too!


Anyway, I walked with Reka back to the student village and yes as expected there was a party going on. The senseis were there too. Apparently this same grp of senseis are also teaching another few classes. They saw me and suddenly I was greeted by a chorus of Happy Birthday by the senseis and the students. Ok this is a bit shocking... I just stood there and was a little dumbfounded. Miki sensei was then asking me who was at my party so I was like ehh... Reka San, Theodoru san... and that sparked the ba gua-ness in her. She was like wahhhh!!! Then I had to explain it wasn't just him, a lot of others was around. But she just kept giving me that "hee, I know something is going on look." See, the senseis are so ba gua. And then met another male sensei or ours and apparently he is a little high from drinking. That's the culture here. In class we are students and teacher relationship. After class, everyone can come together to drink and play.

Party at Ying Jie's Place



The Cute Girls


Owen the Crazy Guy in Action


No comments: